World Atlas Ptolomy 1477
The atlas of maps by Claudius Ptolomy AD100-170 is based on the scientific treatise Geographia. This was developed by Ptolomy around AD150. The text was lost and was rediscovered around 1300. Printed maps based on the Geographia treatise began to be produced In the 15th century, with the earliest edition being produced in 1477. Through the 16th and 17th centuries a number of foremost mapmakers eg Bertius and Mercator produced their own atlases of Ptolomy’s treatise. Maps were both in colour and mono, the coloured maps being most attractive. There are three such atlases in the L Brown Collection.
(Image Full Screen plus Zoom and Pan controls are located in top right of Gallery when opened)